Press & Speaking Engagements
About Kay Hirai
Kay Hirai is a successful entrepreneur and owner of Studio 904 on Mercer Island, WA. Kay was born in Japan and came to the United States at the age of eleven. She entered American school as a fifth grader, not knowing a word of English. Most of her school years were spent struggling to learn the English language and taking care of her ailing mother. She has written three books, “Yumi’s Life Lessons” a collection of stories taught to her by her beloved Jack Russell Terrier and “Keiko’s Journey” which chronicles her childhood in Japan during WWII, and “Sheer Determination,” telling her story of building a socially responsible business. Kay Hirai regularly hosts charity events at her salon and now lives on Mercer Island with her husband and dog. Read Full Bio.
For Lectures and Speaking Appearances please contact Kay directly.
“Our group was quite fortunate to have Kay speak at our recent chapter meeting in which she shared stories from her life, including what inspires and drives her. We were moved by her achievements, her joy, authenticity and spirit. As a first generation American, successful businesswoman, social entrepreneur, artist and author, Kay is a phenomenal role model. She has built a successful business based on her core values of lifelong learning and giving back to her community. Her life story is absolutely amazing. It was a beautiful program and we felt very fortunate to learn more about Kay Hirai. Personally, I would welcome any opportunity to attend a program led by Kay. Her compassion, commitment and leadership are contagious.”‘Shelly Shay, National Charity League
High Resolution Images
(please click images below to access larger image files)
Kay Hirai in the News
- Starting a Business? Read this Book First, Nativa World, July 19,2017
- May 15, 2017, Studio 904 Owner Keiko Kay Hirai Releases New Book, Sheer Determination, My Mercer Island blog
- People in Our Community, an Interview with Kay Hirai, The North American Post, April 27, 2017
- Keiko’s Journey Takes to Stage, The North American Post, May 20, 2016
- Keiko’s Journey to Seattle, The North American Post, December 11, 2015
“When I walked in to Studio 904 Hair Salon and Spa, my first impression wasn’t of barber chairs and hair products, but of bento boxes, holiday cards, crafts, and Japanese tea cups.” READ FULL STORY
- Keiko Journeys to the Past in New Book, Mercer Island Reporter, December 2, 2015, “Keiko’s Journey” is, at its heart, about a little girl and a little dog, said author
- Kay Hirai. But it’s also about war, isolation and the strength of Hirai’s mother, Fujiye, who died from tuberculosis when Hirai was 28.” READ FULL STORY
- Kay speaks on being a socially responsible business owner in this 2012 TED talk.
Press Releases & Endorsements
May 1, 2017, New Book! Sheer Determination: Swimming Upstream in a Downstream World. download PDF
Advance Praise for Sheer Determination: Swimming Upstream in a Downstream World
February 1, 2016, Keiko’s Journey: Between Two Worlds, A Young Girl’s Story of Growing Up in Postwar Japan and America. download PDF
For Media and Interview Requests, Lectures and Speaking Appearances and for Literary Rights and/or Film Rights Queries, please contact Kay directly.